Skip to main content

Life Is Short: Pick Your Battles

From the time my children were little, the amount of parenting advice that one can find on the internet has quadrupled (at least!).  It's easy to scroll through my FB feed and read up on many different ways that I "should" be parenting.  What's best for my kids, according to 80 other mom bloggers, doctors, HuffPost, friends, family.... you get the point. The newest thing I see is how to have a schedule-free summer! Great! Although that totally conflicts with what my children's teachers have advised - we must work on math and reading skills so that the kids don't forget them during the less than 90 days they are off for break. So now what do I do? Make them work on math or let them play in the sprinkler? Well, I guess it doesn't matter - I work full-time and don't get off for summer break. 

I can convey my thoughts to the grandmas who will be hard at work this summer, taking care of my children, but in the end, I just want my kids to have fun.  My thought is less structure is better. I want my kids to read because they enjoy it. And they do! Connor has also taken up drawing, mostly Minecraft ideas, but he's super creative with it. The twins live in their imagination, especially Keira. She is always creating worlds for her many dolls and little figurines that she loves so much.  Colin loves his superheros, and the boys will play-fight as long as I let them.  Every night, after the lights have been shut off and they are supposed to be asleep, I find them with books in the beds, trying to read what they can in the last twilight of the night - desperately trying to see those last words before their rooms are encased in darkness as the sun sets. 

There are other pieces to this parenting puzzle as well.  My husband finds it necessary to argue with the children over what seems like everything.  He gets frustrated with my laissez faire attitude on some of the smaller issues that seem to arise with the children. I don't see the point of fighting with a 6 year old (or two).  This has always been my thought process. Although once confronted with my own mortality as I wind my way through this kidney failure process, I find that more often than not, I choose my battles even more wisely.  Life is too short to fight with Keira over the shorts she wants to wear or the fact that Colin wore Santa pajamas out to eat the other night. 

I have certain rules of course - no flip flops if you want to go to the park. But when Keira fills up a purse with random items just so she can take it out to supper with us, who am I to tell her no? Hell, my purse is also filled with random crap and I take it with me everywhere.  Colin - my sweet little sensory boy - doesn't like the feel of most clothes on his skin.  I've adapted (because as I tell others - I am the adult and it's easier for me than for a 6 year old). If he wants to wear his pajamas out, then he can. It saves me a meltdown later on. My kids are the ones running through the store, acting crazy anyway - what does it matter how they are dressed?  Connor, who has already shown how well he takes after his father (in both attention span and arguing), is addicted to Minecraft and his kindle. Yet he is accustomed to us saying no over and over again when he asks (for the 70th time in an hour!) to play. 

Life is short. I find myself saying this a lot. The stark truth of my life is that without a kidney transplant, I will die - probably within 3-5 years on dialysis.  Now, of course, that won't happen, because I will get a transplant and be fine. (I have a surprisingly positive outlook on all of this, despite the direness that some people seem to be inflicting on me.)  But even with a transplant, I could get hit by a bus a day later.  And if that were the case (the bus incident, not the kidney one), how will my children remember me? As the mom who constantly said no and argued with them because they didn't do things exactly how I want them to? The one who has to butt heads with them over every little thing? What makes me the ultimate decision maker (other than the fact that I grew them in me)?  My children are their own independent wonderful little beings that I hope will grow up to be just like me.  That can't happen if I try to control each and every piece of their lives with what I think is the best way. 

So I am happy to let them live their little lives, filling purses with crap, wearing pajamas in public, and wandering around in their Minecraft-induced haze. Because in the end, I want them to remember the love I gave them more than anything else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?