Skip to main content

When I Grow Up

When I was a little girl and asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would answer with one of these three occupations: teacher, cheerleader, writer.

The teacher thing didn't work out as I had expected; while I have a Master of Arts in History, I tried teaching college and found it wasn't for me. Instead, I work with students on a different level, and help them transfer to four-year universities to achieve their dreams.

I never was a cheerleader in high school - pom/dance try-outs were the week before cheer and I made the pom squad. I was lucky - even winning a chance to go to London and dance in the New Year's Day parade!

Writer. Well in my head, I am one. I have a blog. I have my notebook at home. I have about 100 notebooks, journals, and tablets of stories and poems in boxes under the bed and in the crawl space:
  • my first book of haikus in a yellow notebook, told from the viewpoint of a 5th grader
  • my favorite book of poems filled with teen-aged angst and rebellion
  • my black and white notebook with my first vampire story
And many more, too many to list.

Sometimes I wonder what I am doing with my life. I have a career, but it is not the one I imagined.  Or is it?

Teacher - Who shows my children right from wrong? How to tie their shoes? Or make their beds? I teach the harder things too - what to do when a classmate is mean, how to act when a driver cuts me off, what was slavery and why did we do it?

Cheerleader - I am my children's biggest cheerleader! When they do well in school or help out at home, I give them praise (despite what some parenting blogs may say!). When my husband runs his races, I cheer from the sidelines and wait at the finish line. When a student calls me with a problem, I go out of my way to help him or her to get what is needed.

Writer - I write here. Some people read it. Is that what it takes to be a writer? Someone to read your words? Or is it just the ability to put pen to paper (because in the long run, I'm pretty old fashioned)? Does what I write matter? Is it any good? Can I be a writer if no one sees it?

I've been thinking lately of plans. Yesterday's post talked of life being short. Today I wonder if I'm making a difference. Did I grow up to be what I set out to be? Or did I just grow up to be ME?


Comments

Maurissa said…
Nicely said. My life has turned out completely differently than I thought it would, but that's okay. Love your blog, BTW.
I don't think any of us turn out the way quite expected from when we were young--but in my case (and many others) it is WAY-AY-AY better than what I could even imagine. You are definitely a teacher, a cheerleader AND a writer. Just don't stop!
Unknown said…
I love how you became everything you dreamed about. Mwa
Unknown said…
No doubt that you ARE a writer! Love your reflections on this and being a stationery loving gal myself, I love that you have loads of journals. Indeed, we are our "own authors of our life story." Visiting via SITSgirls saturday linkup

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?