Skip to main content

Why Frosty Made Mommy Cry


As a little girl, before the age of DVD players and OnDemand Christmas shows, I waited eagerly for the one night that Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer would be on tv. Over time, as toys were replaced with books, and books with boys, and boys with life. Frosty and Rudolph were of the past. Yet every year, my grandma would call on some random night, a few days before Christmas, to say - "Frosty's on!" I'd turn it on maybe for a few minutes, but why watch something I've seen 15 or 20 times before? So I'd move on.


Last year, both shows were on later than the kids' bedtime, so I dvr'd them. Connor would ask to watch the shows, but around February, we needed the space. He hadn't asked for awhile, so they were deleted. Out of the blue, every so often, he'd ask if we could watch one, but I told him we had to wait until Christmas. In November, when the Black Friday toy ads were abundant, he saw both movies advertised for $5 each. I had Keith pick them up, and they've been a big hit.


With all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, the cookies to make, the cards to send, the presents to buy, I admit to turning on my Christmas music a little earlier than normal. But whenever Frosty the Snowman by Jimmy Durante or Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry would come on the radio, I'd turn it off because hey, I'm tired of that song. It's an old one that is over-played on the local Christmas station.


But Christmas this year seems different. The kids are so in awe of everything Christmas. On Thanksgiving night, we drove around for almost an hour, trying to find just one more house with their Christmas lights already glowing. The kids gasped in delight at the twinkling lights, and kept their eyes "peeeeled" for more. At the Polar Express, we had to stop ourselves from shushing them - their shouts of happiness at seeing the lighted displays, running while yelling - Mommy! Daddy! More lights! It's Santa! It's penguins!


Yesterday on the way to school, Frosty came on the radio. Connor asked me to turn it up. He sang along, and knew all the words.


Just like I do.


But what was lost in me, the childlike innocence that some say can never be replaced, found it's way out of the secret place where it had been locked inside my heart.


Today, while on my way to work, the song came on the radio again. I immediately thought of Connor's sweet voice.


I turned up the radio and with the heart of a five year old, I sang along.

Comments

Unknown said…
And now I'm crying. Very sweet.
Miss Megan said…
It's amazing seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child. It totally changes your perspective!
Turn it up and sing along momma! Very sweet!!!
Unknown said…
I love this post! So sweet! And I love the Christmas layout.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?