Skip to main content

Maternity Leave

 

One of the prompts today over at Working Mommy Wednesday is: Maternity Leave - How long did you take? Were you ready to come back? How did you survive/manage? Tips for new moms returning to work?

Baby #1 - With Connor, I worked up to the week before my due date.  I was able to take off the full 12 weeks of FMLA leave that my work provides.  As a first time mom, I was partially ready to go back, partially not.  I was lucky enough that Connor would be staying with my mom and MIL while I worked.  It was a hard adjustment, leaving my little baby behind while I went off to work. 

Babies #2 and # 3 - With the twins, I was huge (obviously).  It was hard to drive and such, so I worked up until week 36 of the pregnancy.  I had about a week and a half before I was (voluntarily) induced.  So that gave me about 10 weeks to be home after the babes were born.  Because of the chaos that is THREE kids under TWO, I was more than ready to go back to work and get some rest. ;)  Managing work, with 3 kids at home, was tough.  I pumped everyday at work, which was a pain in the you-know-what, but also gave me nice breaks in my day. 

Tips for new moms:
  • morning organization - have things ready the night before - bags packed, lunches made, clothes laid out, especially if you are taking the child somewhere for daycare
  • don't hesitate to call and check on your child if you miss them a lot!
  • take a picture or two of the baby to place on your desk
  • meal plan. and realize that those first few days back could have you picking up fast food on the way home.
  • save the evenings for spending time with your child.  it's ok to let the housework go when you first get back to work. do what you can to make it liveable, but don't stress out if you don't get to vacuum every week!
  • go to bed early - this ties in with leaving housework behind. your baby is probably still not sleeping through the night, plus you are getting up and going work all day, so you are exhausted.  REST!

Comments

R. Molder said…
Hi - visiting from WMW!

I really like your tips and will definitely be using them when I go back to work after my current maternity leave. It's hard to put off house work but that's what the weekend is for right?
Annie said…
I like your tips and agree that be organized is a hit when we have kids.
Diane said…
Great tips! You definitely have to learn to let things go and I found (and still find) that to be the hardest thing for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?