Skip to main content

Black No. 1

First off, an update on Colin:  he is doing wonderfully since he came home from the hospital.  We are down to 2-3 breathing treatments a day.  He hates them of course, but they are helping him breath better. 

Second, today at Mama Kat's, one of the writing prompt is to write about your wedding song.  What was it and why did you choose it.

I love talking about my wedding.  I loved each and every minute of it.  Two things to know about me: I love Halloween, and I love New Orleans.  We planned on a Halloween wedding; however, the Catholic church in my area does not do weddings on Sundays, and Halloween in 2004 was on a Sunday.  So we moved it to Saturday, October 30.  Which worked out well because we went to New Orleans for our honeymoon and there is nothing better than Halloween in New Orleans! 

I went with fall colors, flowers and decorations.  The centerpieces were pieces of autumn beauty.  But then came the fun part - the Halloween stuff!  The place cards weren't numbers, rather they were Halloween characters - vampire, werewolf, mummy, pumpkins, etc.  We had ordered some pumpkin shaped fondant pieces for the cake, and I had found a jack-o-lantern shaped salt and pepper shaker set at Cracker Barrel - we put a little veil on one and a top hat on the other and those were our wedding cake toppers.



For the first hour, we had the DJ play Halloween music and the bridal party walked in with the theme from Friday the 13th playing in the background.  However, when it was time to pick our wedding song, we had some trouble.  Keith wanted something in keeping with the theme.  That was fine with me, but it was hard to find a good song. We looked through Keith's CD collection, but Slayer and ICP don't really make romantic ballads.  Somehow, one of us suggested Type O Negative's Black No. 1.  Now, technically, not really a romantic song for most people.  Type O is kind of a heavy metal band with heavy gothic tones.  Their music is filled with dark, haunting melodies.

The song itself talks about vampires and Halloween.  So it was perfect for us!

Sample lyrics: 
Now it's All-Hallows eve - the moon is full
Will she trick or treat - I bet she will

Sure there are times when I think back and wonder why we didn't pick a more familiar song, something poppy, that you can turn on the radio and hear today.  But then I remember:

1 - We aren't pop music kind of people.  I only know who Lady Gaga is because people make fun of her.
2 - The music fits us.  We wanted a Halloween wedding, and we got it.

Sometimes it's hard being different.  Sometimes it's not.

Mama's Losin' It

Comments

Unknown said…
Now I'm off to iTunes to see if I can find this song.
Love your originality!
Glad to hear Colin is doing better.
KLZ said…
I love your wedding toppers. That's the cutest idea.
Annie said…
If I can see more pictures of your wedding. Sounds like lots of fun.

PS: Finally, catching up on your posts.

Hope Collin feel better soon.
Louise said…
Hey! We had the same blog plans on Wednesday and Thursday this week. I was going through the list of people from WMW, but saw you also posted on your wedding song for Mama Kat, as did I.

I love your original choice - though I've never heard of the song. The halloween theme is fun too. We also got married in October - though at the beginning. We did fall themes, which worked well for me as I love oranges/browns etc...

All the best!
KatBouska said…
Now that's original! I bet no one else in the whole wide world has that for their wedding song! :) Love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?