Skip to main content

2018 Musings




I'm the kind of girl who, at 40 years of age, still calls herself a girl. I'm an organized person living in a cluttered house with child hoarders who keep tiny pieces of paper and use scotch tape liberally on empty toilet paper rolls, er I mean, swords.  I can't figure out why there are stickers on my couch because my twins are in 4th grade. I wish we had a house with a mudroom or a closet or a nook, just so my husband can stash all his running/biking/etc stuff there instead of on his kitchen chair. I just started wearing a plum colored lipstick and realize how much better I look even though according to the fashion magazines, my skin tone is warm and I should wear browns instead. I'm currently wondering how to respond to one of my child's teachers who reached out about the fact that he's acting up in class... and his response - "I want to have a social worker like _____ because he gets to take breaks and play with putty." My daughter took a Chicago Hauntings book to school today to share stories with her friends about the "sausage guy who ground up his wife".  And my 6th grader now has an iPhone and I think, I think!, wants a girlfriend. I should really work out and lose the 5-whatever pounds I put on pre-transplant thanks to steroids. I should really stop blaming the steroids from 3 years ago, and instead blame the fact that I get home from work exhausted because I'm anemic... thanks to my post-transplant medicines. And I should really eat the broccoli and Brussels sprouts my husband tells me to eat because I need iron. And.... I should probably work out. Right now, I'm defining my happiness by trying to find the perfect purse, and while I realize that's a #firstworldproblem, I also don't care if you think I'm being #petty. Pretty things make me happy and that's okay. My 9 year old daughter still wants to grow up and be a princess and I'm fine with that, because princesses can be strong women too. (Hello Duchess of Cambridge!) I'm unfulfilled at work due to role changes and now am doing a job I never signed up for. I found all my old writing journals and mourned the loss of who I once was but am glad at the same time that I no longer feel such sadness inside. I am so thankful for a new year.  Now that January is over, that is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?