Skip to main content

I sit all day at a desk...



Sometimes when I talk about how stressed I feel, I am met with this response: But all you do is sit at a desk all day. How can you be tired?

Apparently mentally tired is not a thing.

By the time I get to work, I'm tired. Due to my anemia, it takes a lot out of me to try to hurry in the morning, deal with the kids who always need me right when I am walking out the door, and then when I finally do get to work, it's a long (COLD) walk from the parking lot.

8:00 - Computer is on, I'm logged in.
8:02 - First question of the day from someone in the doorway. I haven't even had time to check my voicemails or emails.
8:06 - Attempt to check email, read 2, start to respond to one...
8:07 - Co-worker comes in with a question and some paper to look at
8:50, I have been trying for 40 minutes to finish that email I started, as well as make myself a cup of coffee to warm up since my office is freezing.
I have to hurry for the coffee since I need to take my pills at 9 a.m.
Try to go to the bathroom, but my boss' secretary asks a question, then my boss walks over with more.
9:30 - 4 emails responded to, answered a student phone call, talked to a few counselors with questions... Stare at the coffee which has become cold since I barely sipped it.
10:00 - Finally begin to review some students who have applied for graduation. We are weeks behind due to me being out, the holiday break, and the chaos of awarding degrees and certificates in January.  
10:15 - I've printed 4 audits, but the printer is out of paper. So am I, so down the hall to find some.
10:20 - Paper is ready , the rest of the audits print
10:23 - Boss sends three emails, need to respond to two. Takes time to find the answers, craft responses, make sure I've included all the right people...
10:46 - Intent forms stare at me with no progress made
11:07 - Phone rings. Student has a question with no easy answer. Have to research while student is discussing (complaining) about things.
11:14 - I finally finish reviewing a student! It's only taken an hour and 15 minutes.  I'm on a roll. I complete two more before I realize I didn't check my voicemail
11:30 - Listen to 5 voicemails, call back a counselor, answer a quick and easy question. Have to check with my co-worker if she has the substitution form for another one of the calls, while an IM pops up - does this course transfer in as A&P? There is no cadaver. (There always has to be a cadaver. They know this, yet they ask me every.single.time just in case something has changed since Friday.)
12:00 - Lunch time! Ha, just kidding. Still on the phone with one of the students I had to call back while simultaneously emailing my boss to see about setting up a meeting with one of the 4 year schools we have an articulation agreement with
12:15 - Finally lunch. 30 minutes to now catch up my "home/kids" to do list. So it's not really a break.
12:45 - Lunch is over, open office door (I'm actually shocked no one came knocking while I was on lunch, however I did have to answer an instant message that popped up 7 minutes into my lunch.)
12:50 - I begin to review another student, but now I need to work on some graduation ceremony items.
1:00 - A question about an event comes up, need to respond, but first find out if everything is set on our end.
1:16 - IM my favorite marketing person about a different event I need to host in 2 weeks - are the fliers ready? Crap! I forgot about fliers for the other event - stop what I am doing to complete paperwork for that, and give to boss for approval.
1:31 - That 4th Intent to graduate form looms at me on the side of my desk where it has been sitting for what seems like ever. But a co-worker comes in to discuss what else? The graduation ceremony. It's 4 months away but will consume my work life until then.
1:52 - I try to sneak down the hall to refill my water cup and run to the bathroom (as fast as someone with a nerve damaged leg can "run") when I'm stopped by someone telling me my mailbox is full.  Someone shoved a bunch of pamphlets in there, which need to be distributed throughout the student center.  
2:05 - Done with the pamphlets.
2:07 - Breath.
2:07:30 - Hi Sarah, Can I bother you for a sec? (While they say this, they are already walking in and sitting down at my desk.)
2:10 - I have been listening to this person explain to me why a student wants a call back. The student is angry for a variety of reasons, most of which she feels are my fault. I've never spoken to her in my life.
2:12 - I prepare myself for the phone call I am about to make.
2:35 - I finally finish speaking to the no-longer angry and frustrated student. She thanks me for my time and means it. I smile because I really do love my job.
2:40 - Find her evaluation request form and begin to evaluate her transcripts. 
2:57 - Interrupted again. (Big shock.)
3:16 - Have to pull out the FAQs for graduation to update based on some new changes. Make many changes. Have 5 questions. Try to schedule a room for our cap/gown pick-up event. Send email to boss with questions and FAQ for review.
3:56 - Remember to update one of the counselors about the student I had a 25 minute conversation with earlier in the afternoon.
4:00 - Meet with co-worker about graduation to go over some pressing items I have to take care of.
4:17 - Counselor comes in. He has a student with foreign credit who doesn't know why we didn't accept all of it. She has forgotten about our 35 minute conversation we had last Wednesday where I explained why.  I go to see her, re-explain in a cliff notes version so I can leave work on time.
4:35 - Leave 5 minutes late.

But no, I'm not tired after that day.  And that's certainly not wine in my glass.. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?