Skip to main content

Creating a back to school routine...

T-minus 8 days until the start of school! And to get back in the routine of school, homework, and just the general busyness of life, I thought I'd post about some things we are doing at home to help make the transition from summer to school a little easier this year:

Prepare the night before: Lunches and backpacks are ready to go.  Clothes are set out for children and mom! 
Set the timer on the coffee maker.  Double check your calendar to make sure you aren't forgetting a treat or permission slip. 
 
Here is a picture of the wall/counter right by our back door.  
Under the counter, Keith built cubbies for coats/back packs.  
We use the old shutter for bills/permission slips/important papers.

Hover over this picture to see the "Pin it" button!

Hug It Out: I've read this in numerous parenting mags, so it must be true... right? Sometimes kids are especially needy in the morning because they've been away from physical contact all night long.  Spend a couple minutes just sitting with each child and giving a few extra cuddles, especially to those less-independent kiddos of yours.  

Visualize Your Morning Routine:  I used this one last year and it worked great! It has pictures and words, so there is no confusion.  It's placed on the refrigerator, and lists the steps of what needs to be done. (We eat and brush teeth before getting our uniforms on just in case there are spills.)



 

Get up earlier: Wait, what did she say? That's right, even if it's 5-10 minutes earlier, it gives you a little extra time in the morning. And a few minutes to do some stretches or yoga, write in your gratitude journal, or just drink your coffee in peace before the chaos of the morning.  (I'm still working on this one!)  

Lose the remote control: In our house, there is no t.v. in the mornings, unless all kids are dressed and ready to walk out that door (coats and hats optional).

Stay calm: Know that even the best laid plans can go awry.  Some day you will probably be running late, and that's just how it is.  Take a moment to take a deep breath before running around and possibly yelling at the kids. Good luck with the new school year! 

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm not sure I'm ready for back to school!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?