Skip to main content

My Own Skin




Like a good little fit girl, I go to the gym twice a week. Well sometimes less than that depending on life.  I usually go before work which is nice to get it out of the way first thing in the morning. So since I've just rolled out of bed and tackled three small children in an effort to get them dressed for school, no matter how cute my workout clothes are, I feel like a slob.

Most of the time, with just my luck, the skinniest, prettiest girl in the world is on the treadmill near me. Which would be great if I were skinny and pretty too, but at 6 a.m., I've got more of the tired mommy who was up 2 times in the night because her 5 year old had a nightmare and a 3 year old's pull-up leaked look going on.  

Then I go to the locker room. And as I get ready to shower, I am reminded that the skinny, pretty girl (who is wearing make-up btw) does not have stretch marks on her stomach. I look down, and see those ugly scars every day. I was not blessed with the great elasticity that other moms were, and while my stomach is more on the flat side than other moms, I won't be wearing a bikini again. I struggle to wrap the towel around me as quickly as possible so that no one catches a glimpse of what I am ashamed of.

As I get out of the shower and start to get dressed, the girl is back. This time, she is drying her hair at the mirror. She is really tan. I mean, like fake-and-baked-maybe-15-minutes-too-long tan.  She is kind of orange.  And her face, oh! no wonder she came to the gym in full make-up. She has wrinkles! She spends 10 minutes blow drying her hair, which kind of looks a little frizzy and dried out. She then labors with applying more make-up than I've owned in my whole life. She teases her hair some more, then puts on the tightest shirt and pants ever. She either works at a hair salon or Victoria's Secret, because I have no idea who dresses like that at 7 a.m.

Why is she trying so hard? I wonder. What's her story? The writer in me likes to imagine. No ring, so no husband. Any kids? I doubt a single mom would be at the gym before school. Why all the make-up? Why the long time spent shaping her hair just so? Who is she trying to impress? Herself? Maybe, I think to myself, I'm not the only one unhappy with how I look.  Maybe we are more alike than it seems.  Even the prettiest girl can feel ugly some times.

I steal another glance at my stomach. You know, the one that carried twins to almost 37 weeks, and if I hadn't been induced, I'm sure I would have carried them to term. The same stomach that grew as my babies grew, and held 7 pounds of pure joy, then 11.4 pounds of double that joy.  Sure, it's stretched and grew (and will never be the same again), but it kept those babies safe and warm for 9 months. 
I shouldn't be ashamed. I need to wear my stretch marks like the badge of motherhood they are.
I need to be comfortable with me.

Comments

Unknown said…
Awe love it! BTW, you're beautiful!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?