Skip to main content

My beautiful baby girl...

I always thought I wanted a girl. When I was pregnant with Connor, but before I had the big u/s to see the gender, I kept telling people I wanted a girl. There were no boys in my family, my niece was almost 2, and I was used to girly things. I had no idea what I would do with a boy! Then I found out that Connor was a boy. And I was totally fine with that. The one tear I shed that day was more out of happiness that he was healthy. ;)

When I got pregnant again, I told everyone I wanted a boy. (At the time, I thought there was only one in there. Boy was I wrong!) When the tech told me that there were two babies and I (somewhat) got over the initial shock, she told me Baby A was a girl. And even then, I prayed that Baby B would be a boy. I wanted another boy. I was so thankful that at least one of them was a boy. I told people the next day that I was having twins. And almost everyone said to me, "Well now you will finally have your girl." Like that mattered. Like if it were two boys, I would say, "no thanks, not interested. I'm holding out for a girl."

The struggle was to not only find a first name that we liked, but also one that would go with the boy's name we had picked out (the boy's name we changed two days before I actually gave birth). It was either going to be Kate or Keira. I love the name Kate, but Keira is just a little different, a little less likely to be heard in the schoolyard (at least I hope so), and went beautifully with Rose as a middle name. I knew before I ever got pregnant that if/when I had a girl, her middle name would be Rose. It would be my way of honoring St. Theresa, the Little Flower. She has helped me so greatly through my life, I knew I wanted to honor her in some way. I prayed to her daily while pregnant - asking for full-term, healthy twins. Even when I pushing, I pictured a rose in my mind to assure me that the babies would be healthy, that they would be ok when born.

Little Keira came out screaming for attention, much like she does even today at (almost) 8 months old. Starting about four weeks after she was born, she decided that she needs to be entertained if she is awake. If you leave the room, she will let you know her dismay. She enjoys laughing at her big brother's toddler antics and loves to steal her twin brother's pacifier, even though she prefers her thumb when it comes to sucking on things. She has the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen and her smile is so engaging. Even last night, with her 2 a.m. wake-up call, you can't help but smile back at the little one laying next to you. After trying unsuccessfully to get her to go back to sleep on her own, I gave up and brought her into bed with me. When she wasn't trying to play peek-a-boo with the sheet, she would turn to me and give me one of her gigantic smiles and giggle. Now after this went on for an hour, I was pretty happy when she finally tired herself out and went to sleep, quietly sucking on her thumb. But with all the chaos of daily life and the constant struggle to find balance, those late-night times are really a blessing to me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review...and a Giveaway!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of When the Rogue Returns  from Sabrina Jeffries herself! I couldn't wait to read it.  After reading the first book in The Duke's Men series, What the Duke Desires , I was excited to see that this next book was about Victor Cale. In  When the Rogue Returns , Victor Cale is headed to Scotland to investigate a woman, Sofie Franke.  He has his suspicions that this woman is actually Isabella, his wife who disappeared on him ten years before.  He has spent the last decade searching to bring her to justice after she stole the royal jewels and left him to behind to deal with the authorities.  Isabella Cale, now known as Sofie Franke, has built a new life for herself and her ten-year old daughter after her husband ran off with the royal jewels. Are you intrigued yet? Victor and Isa's first meeting was great! Both blame the other for the missing jewels, and both are greatly suspicious of the other's motives.  Despite their renewed feel

Enjoy the little things...

The music filled my head as I drove my car along the winding river road on that dark and snowy night.  I had just left my grandpa's wake and was headed home... alone.....  My husband had the stomach flu, we had moved into our new house the day before my grandpa passed, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant.  The baby boy inside me kicked along with the song, as I cried and listened to the words. Mama told me when I was young Come sit beside me, my only son And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day. Take your time... Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass. Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above. I've always found comfort in songs... the words of the artists resonating with me through even my darkest times. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man is one of those songs that just happens to play on the radio at the precise moment that I need a remind

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

The countdown to Hallowe'en begins! Please note this is not the actual number of days until Hallowe'en. The picture was taken two days ago. The house is totally decorated, although I still could use a few more things ;) One of the cool new decorations I bought this year are these Halloween Pumpkin Wall Decals from Kohls.  I love them!  My structured, OCD self feels the mantle is too cluttered, but the spooky side of me just doesn't care. ;) How do you decorate for Hallowe'en?